Saturday 3 September 2011

Community jam...........

A big part of the community shop in the village where I volunteer is actually involving the local people in it; one way we do this is be inviting and encouraging folk to bring in their surplus fruit and veg for sale - they can donate entirely , in which case the shop receives the full price, or they can do eg 50/50. Most folk donate, which is generous and community-spirited of them. As you are all aware probably, this has been a very good yeyar for damsons and plums - again! Not all of the last lot donated were sold, and were starting to go squishy in the trays. I brought them home and have turned them (half so far) into jam; this will be given back to the shop for their use. I am unable to sell it as I am not using an 'approved' (by Trading Standards) kitchen, so I enviage something like 'a free jar of local lum jam when you spend over £5' or similar. The rest of the plums I think will go for chutney, ready in time for Christmas. I'll print up some nice labels tomorrow for it all, and can't see it staying on the shelves for long!

2 comments:

Sue xx said...

What a great wee shop you have there. I love the patchwork background too...did you make the patchwork?
xx

MrsL said...

No, it's one of the free backgrounds you can get on the net just for blogs - this one's from www.shabbyblogs.com

It is pretty, though isn't it?
x