Tuesday 27 September 2011

Hops

Got the first of the hops picked this morning; some browning a bit, but still perfectly fine for drying and sorting with a view to future pints - for ME. I now tend to pull the bines, rather than the individual hop flowers; bines are very, very scratchy, and can shred your lowers arms if you're not careful. I'm sure there must be some sort of weaving thing you could do with the bines, either fresh or dried, they're so strong, but flexible. Off for a Google. Kitchen smells like a brewery (again)






Lots of interesting stuff there, will have a go at cordage too I think. Quick shuftie around the net reveals that hop bines can indeed be used for basketry, probably in a mixed hedgerow basket; off to unearth my basketmaking books, something I've been  wanting to get back to for a while now

No comments: