Saturday 29 October 2011

Gentle jobs for a Saturday

- in late autumn, bit too chilly for outdoors, not feeling 100% with a bit of a cold, and not really wanting to stray far from her beloved Rayburn !


This is halfway through Project Bear. Bear is an Alaskan Malamute, and these skeins contain combings from hi lovley coat, carded and spun with Portland fleece, then plied with Suffolk. It's beautifully soft to the touch; may dye it with walnut husks for the final project. Will continue with the spinning a bit later tonight I think.


Look at the fantastic colour of these chillies - not my onw, but bought for pennies as date reduced items; they are being split and dried for use over the winter for curries and chillies after grinding.

Peeled and brined 1 1/2 kg of pickling onions; they will be ready for putting into jars tomorrow afternoon. Brining them helps retain their crispness.

Pear wine decanted into the demi-john, on its way to the wine shelves in the store room; this is from the scrumped pears I collected the other week. I got two boxes of poached pears and two crumbles out of them too, so that was good going. Made another jar of sloe gin too, with the last of the sloes,  so I'm well set up in the alcohol department!

Made a big pot of chilli for tonight's supper.

Yesterday was fairly productive in the few hours I actually got to myself -  made a couple of jars of jam with the last of the British strawberries I found, again, a good bargain at less than half price; a gallon of leek and potato soup for the coming week; a caraway cake too.

Will no doubt nod off  over the wheel later lol

3 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

We say "cabing up! ie all snug inside ready for hibernation! can feel it in your post - a lovely feeling of contentment! Dxx

Fishcake_random said...

I love those chillis, how do you dry them?
FHMH X X X

P.S pop on over to my blog for a chance to enter my DVD giveaway :)

MrsL said...

Chilli drying post due tomorrow lol

Will do, thanks :)

x