Monday 19 March 2012

Don't believe anyone who says..........

I don't have space and time to grow any of my own food!

This little pot of cress was ready for cutting this morning; I had extra eggs to use up, so boiled up a few, made egg mayonnaise and cut the cress into it - enough for a good few days' sandwiches there.
The little tray is the bottom of an Ecover washing up liquid bottle that I turned into seed labels last week; inside is a folded piece of paper towel - I use the blue dairy wipes, half a sheet, folded to fit, soak well in cold water and sow the cress seed thickly on top. Keep watered and cool, and 6 days later, you will get this result. I used Sutton cress seed, £1.45, and there's enough in there for at least 6 little trays like this I reckon.  When cut and used, the rooty stalk ends go into the compost bucket along with the paper, and the tray is re-sown immediately to give a constant supply. Minimal time, minimal space - maximum flavour and freshness, not to mention satisfaction :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I have a garden, do grow my own and am ashamed to say Ive never thought to grow cress! I love cress too! Im inspired so will get on it :-) Zoe