Wednesday 7 March 2012

Red geraniums


I grow these every year for the kitchen windowsills; I lovetheir simplicity, the easy bright colour, they're not pretending to be anything else; I have them in clay pots, old ones, on a mix/match of saucers. I bought them last night - little scraps of plantlets in wee plastic pots; at £5 for 6 plants I thought it was good value. Early for buying yes, but if I wait, I won't get the colour I want; I quite like the white ones, but the oranges and salmon pinky ones aren't traditional enough for me. They look really lovley on my tiled windowsills here, and go on flwoering for a long time. This afternoon or tomorrow I will pot them on up to the next size pot in fresh compost and they'll romp away - I'm already looking forward to the first scarlet bloom forming among the green :)

(painting by  Theresa Shelton)

1 comment:

Shropshire Girl said...

I need to get mine very soon, they remind me of 'Lark Rise to Candleford', when she is describing the difference between homes even though the wage is the same. Some make the homemaking effort with geraniums on the windowsill.