Monday 15 October 2012

Livestock update

Thought it about time, so took the camera up with me this morning; everyone fit and well, thriving, sitting about enoying the sunshine and laily snapping at any passing insects!

Goats are doing well, gave them a big pile of artichoke stems to munch their way through
 
Muscovies snoozing in the late sunshine
 
 
 
Ducks various; the little white one asleep is Jesus (named before I got him) - he's still doing well at 15 years old and has survived both a fox and a badger attack, bless him :)
 
 
The other ducks seemed to be a bit camera shy lol
 
My Lemon Brahma, Liz Lovick - a gentle soul
 
 
My Silver Laced Wyandotte, Elizabeth Zimmerman, feisty and noisy lol
 
Finally, some of the wee Scots Dumpies; as far as I can tell, I've been extremely fortunate in that I am left with 4 hens and one cock bird - looking at is tail and the fact that he is the only one crowing. They're in a separate house and run for a short time, then will be let out into the main run with the rest of the hens. My cockerel needs a name, so will need to get that sorted out soon :)





The Shetland ducklings will go up to the sae and secure greenhouse tomorrow morning, after a bath this afternoon and a thorough dry out for them - ore room, change of scene and they'll be able to splash around in there. They're quite grown up now, feathered up well and very striking looking in dinner jacket black and white outfits. No idea of sexes yet with them, time will tell. Pics to follow next time :)
So, livestock sumary: 2 goats, hive of bees, 2 Muscovy ducks and 1 muscovy drake, 3 Runner drakes and two Runner ducks, one Call drake, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Lemon Brahma, 2 Silver Dorkings, 1 elderly Maran, 1 feisty wee black and copper coloured hen, 1 Cotswold Cream Legbar, 5 Scots Dumpies and 4 Shetland ducks.

Must be room for a couple of wee sheep and pigs, surely? ;) lol

2 comments:

Lorely Forrester said...

What a lovely family. The trousered hen is veyr pretty.

Jo said...

The neighbours won't let me keep a cockerel. Grrr. I'm not sure they'd let me have ducks either as they are usually noisier than hens. I'd also love a couple of sheep or goats but the council won't let me have them. Grrr. I'm just jealous of those who can have them. You must live somewhere a lot more rural than me. 15 years sound a good age for a duck.