Saturday 13 October 2012

The road to hell...............

..............   is paved with good intentions.  I was full of good intentions to declutter some more of the kitchen and 'sort stuff out' again this morning; nothing too arduous, mainly craft stuff and wool, get it put away and tidied and to make sure I know what I've got.  All going to plan, coffee finished, then...................


........the postman arrived.
One of the bits of mail was a book, which I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered for literally pennies from Amazon or Abe, can't even remember which...........

It's this one



- a non-fiction account of a ten day visit to Dumfries & Galloway  by Americn author Liz Curtis Higgs and her friend.  Well, seeing as that's where I was brought up, I had to read it didn't I?  Lots of great details about places I know and love well. Like real life for me, the interest is in the day to dat details of ordinary folks' lives rather thn the grand historic gestures, and there's plenty of this sort of ovservant detail in this book to keep me happy. She visits Benny Gillies' bookshop in Kirkpatrick Durham, where I lived; his home and bookshop is next door to where my granny lived, and I knew Benny and his wife Lyn, and have had books from him. I recognised the Reverend Bill Holland too as I went to school with one of his daughters. A joy, for me, from start to finish Yes, I  sat down and read right through it, stopping only to make and drink a cup of tea.  I now need to get on with what I intended doing this morning, but what a lovely way to spend a dreich Saturday - albeit unintentionally

ps the postman also delivered  Sea Change by Mhairi Hedderwick, but I've hidden that! lol

No comments: